Other Species Latest Catch Pics Thread

Had a hour to fish while the clothes dried at the laundromat, caught a mud bass and a tiny pike.

IMG_2205.jpeg

IMG_2206.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jmurphy87 said:

Had a hour to fish while the clothes dried at the laundromat, caught a mud bass and a tiny pike.

IMG_2205.jpeg

IMG_2206.jpeg

Your mud bass looks like what we in minnesota call a rock bass.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, throttleplate said:

That's what we always call em too. (I'm a couple hours north of @Jmurphy87)

2 hours ago, Jmurphy87 said:

IMG_2206.jpeg

Pike will really eat anything, won't they? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throttleplate said:

That’s what I always called them was rock bass, although my old 3rd shift supervisor calls them mud bass so I go with that term lol.

27 minutes ago, IcatchDinks said:

That's what we always call em too. (I'm a couple hours north of @Jmurphy87)

Pike will really eat anything, won't they? 

Yes, I agree on the rock bass part. I always find them in muddy areas so I call them mud bass like my old 3rd shift supervisor calls them. Pike eat absolutely anything for the most part, so do rock or mud bass from my observations.

• Like 2

• Super User

Rock bass are an embarrassment to the rest of the bass family. They are like that distant toothless cousin who can’t hold down a job, that you only see sporadically, but wish you didn’t see at all.

• Haha 4

@gimruis I always thought that were kinda cute. They also change colors depending on what color their environment is, so that's cool. 

If I don't want to catch rock bass, I just size my baits up so that can't eat them. 

• Like 1

• Super User
18 hours ago, gimruis said:

Rock bass are an embarrassment to the rest of the bass family. They are like that distant toothless cousin who can’t hold down a job, that you only see sporadically, but wish you didn’t see at all.

They're a training bass. I loved them as a kid. 

• Like 1

Some other species from somewhere north. These are chain pickerel, not pike.

Messenger_creation_211fe80a-e31c-4dee-9e64-ecc583f692cb.jpeg

Messenger_creation_3b1b0aa5-6ad6-4366-b632-0554891ea6a3 (1).jpeg

Messenger_creation_e5d2e502-c46f-4997-8808-dfaf4f5630ea.jpeg

IMG_20240519_062141.jpg

• Like 14

• Super User
1 hour ago, MassBass said:

These are chain pickerel

Ya - caught those in my youth when my Uncle would take the cousins and I to Merrill Pond.

• Super User
1 hour ago, MIbassyaker said:

Little brownie.

There are days I really miss trout fishing - so I have to live vicariously through those that do chase the Salmonids.

• Like 2

• Super User
10 hours ago, MN Fisher said:

There are days I really miss trout fishing - so I have to live vicariously through those that do chase the Salmonids.

I'm pretty new to trout, but they're very popular here (traditionally much more so than bass), with lots of good coldwater streams in my area, as well as the anadromous runs starting in Fall. I've been here 15 years, and only in the last few have I really tried my hand occasionally at fishing for them. It's a nice change of pace. 

• Like 1

• Super User

And... it's a 44" hat trick. Third one in a row. What are the odds? This girl was the best of the bunch. Super thick for this time of year, with a massive head. 

PXL_20240524_105026370.jpg.1580796f5db51084ea9e26064d86c6bc.jpg

Followed up about an hour later by this 40" off the same big laydown. 

PXL_20240524_131902529_MP.jpg.6a11ce0f8f541d1f77f0955dc8d09172.jpg

I think the 40" wanted to be friends. When it kicked out of my hand, it swam in a circle and just sat there looking at me for a minute before taking off. 

PXL_20240524_132012849_MP.jpg.0beec258e4ca2e788bc6b8c0dab3e697.jpg

Also hauled a couple dozen small LM on a chatterbait before the lights came on. T'was a good morning. 

• Like 17

• Super User

I thought the third picture was going to be Tim in a bikini based on the first two pics...I was afraid to scroll down 🤣

Awesome fish Tim, congrats!  Nice to see your hard work pay off.  

• Haha 2

• Super User
2 hours ago, T-Billy said:

And... it's a 44" hat trick. Third one in a row. What are the odds? This girl was the best of the bunch. Super thick for this time of year, and a massive head. 

PXL_20240524_105026370.jpg.1580796f5db51084ea9e26064d86c6bc.jpg

Followed up about an hour later by this 40" off the same big laydown. 

PXL_20240524_131902529_MP.jpg.6a11ce0f8f541d1f77f0955dc8d09172.jpg

I think the 40" wanted to be friends. When it kicked out of my hand, it swam in a circle and just sat there looking at me for a minute before taking off. 

PXL_20240524_132012849_MP.jpg.0beec258e4ca2e788bc6b8c0dab3e697.jpg

Also hauled a couple dozen small LM on a chatterbait before the lights came on. T'was a good morning. 

Dude !

Nicely done.

It's not like you didn't earned those mutants or anything.

😎

Knew it was only a matter of time.

Congrats Brother

A-Jay

• Thanks 1

• Super User

Thanks fellas. Both fish came on fresh meat. Those fish are still unbelievably locked in on crappie. My buddy that's lived at, and muskie fished the lake for 40 years hasn't raised a fish on an artificial for a week. He hasn't caught one on an artificial in two weeks. He's retired and fishes five or six days a week.

I had two follows on a muskie killer last week, but couldn't get 'em to commit. They completely ignored everything else I've thrown lately. The fish are just cruising the big laydowns eating crappie. I imagine they're getting lots of easy meals from injured dinks that get thrown back. I've seen quite a few dead crappie floating the last couple weeks.

I think this deal's about over though. The crappie are spawned out, and they've completely left the shallow trees I was catching my bait on last week. Only the big trees on steep banks are still holding fish.

My wife is gonna go with me tomorrow. The lake will be super busy, so we'll get there a little before first light, get a half dozen crappie for bait, and camp out all morning on the point I caught today's fish on. It has several large trees on it, and it's a channel swing bank.

I'm really happy with my homemade quick strike rigs. I've boated 5 of 6 skis hooked on 'em, and they've all been hooked in the corner of the mouth. Good deal for both me and the fish.

• Like 2

• Super User
22 minutes ago, T-Billy said:

Good deal for both me and the fish.

Quick strike rigs saved a lot of muskies. Before those things came along, people would basically use a single big hook in the the back of whatever live bait (usually a sucker), wait for the muskie to take, wait 5 minutes until they swallowed it, and then set the hook in the fish’s throat. Whole lotta dead fish doing that and studies proved it.

I personally don’t use live bait anymore for them because a big sucker costed me 15 bucks each the last time I did it way back in 2015 (they are probably double that now). You buy 4 or 5 of them and you’re over 50 bucks deep, with only a one time use bait/lure. Crappies, bluegills, perch, etc are not legal to use here either. How big of a crappie are you using? Like a 3 pounder, @Team9nine style? 😂

• Haha 2

• Super User
20 minutes ago, gimruis said:

How big of a crappie are you using?

6"-8" is perfect. Too much room for them to miss the hooks with bigger crappie using my rig. 

I made my rigs with three pieces of 90# coated 7 strand. Swivel at the top, all three wires connected to a 150# welded ring to form a Y, and a 4x strong 1/0 mustad treble through the nostrils, and a 2/0 version skin hooked just below the dorsal. 3oz egg sinker to keep the crappie down where I want 'em.

I'll be on this deal early next year. As soon as the A-rig bite shuts down, I'll be soaking crappie, while casting baits. It's got to the point here lately where I'm only casting baits occasionally out of boredom. Mostly just sitting in my Bill Dance chair, sipping coffee, keeping the baits close to the trees, and waiting to hear a clicker go off. 😂

Here in OH it's legal to use any fish that doesn't have a size or creel limit for bait. We don't have  statewide limits on crappie, just lake specific ones, so it's legal to use them on some lakes but not others.

• Like 2

• Super User

Still finding a few nice crappie here and there. For a post spawn fish, this 1.7 lb. girl was in great looking shape, the best of around 10 or so today.

IMG_3643.jpeg.7685e0394f99d74780e75a0f319e41f4.jpeg

• Like 13

• Super User

27 minutes ago, Team9nine said:

For a post spawn fish, this 1.7 lb. girl

Well, speak of the devil

• Haha 3

• Super User
3 hours ago, T-Billy said:

Here in OH it's legal to use any fish that doesn't have a size or creel limit for bait. We don't have  statewide limits on crappie, just lake specific ones, so it's legal to use them on some lakes but not others.

For finned bait - all we can use in MN is minnows - no panfish, no cut-up bullheads, no cut-up carp....just minnows.

• Sad 1

Caught a couple rock bass the other day while picnicing alongside the river with the wife and kid. Putting them here because @gimruis thinks they aren't worthy of the regular latest catch pics thread. (I guess I kinda agree.) Also caught a bluegill today. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

• Super User
42 minutes ago, IcatchDinks said:

Putting them here because @gimruis thinks they aren't worthy of the regular latest catch pics thread. (I guess I kinda agree.)

Lets put it this way. If I catch one, no chance I’m taking a photo unless it’s a new state record.

• Haha 1