Jump to content

I need a kick in the butt.


Recommended Posts

  • Super User

I got back from my travels where I fished a bucket list thing.  now locally we are entering fall->Winter quickly, and my LMB enthusiasm just isn't there.  

 

I get my replacement rod for the one I broke tomorrow, if all goes well.  (it is FedEx - so I am not holding my breath).  hopefully attaching my Zillion onto the new rod will spark it again.   I had every intention of going this morning, but when I woke up..it was 8:00 am.  work has been sucky, so mentally exhausted as well.    maybe I blow off this Thursday and fish a quiet lake.  just me and my thoughts.  

 

I had to chase a spider off my kayak yesterday.  hahah...  I'm not even BUYING gear!!!  or even looking at new baits and stuff!!!  scary.  :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Take some time off. It can get old, sure it can. Only thing that keeps me going is tournaments or chasing trophy bass. Other than that, it can bog me down quickly. What I do to get out of my slumps is to switch back and forth from freshwater to saltwater, specifically to tag sharks for NOAA. The ocean is a whole different world and awakens some truly remarkable feelings. The wide open freshness of it is like a new beginning. On the flipside, I have those same sort of feelings when I switch back to bass fishing. The point is to get away from it for awhile, take a break like you would for anything else, a breather, so to speak, and then come back freshened up and ready to go!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get there from time to time. I also get into the the mind set I’m just doing it to do it and my heart isn’t in it. Sometimes it s a beak you need as much as you don’t want to admit it. Fishing is a grind at times. Waking up, going to the water, casting and loading back up. Maybe take some time off than take a trip to a body of water that has been on your radar but, maybe have not pulled the trigger to go. If it’s not fun for you right now don’t do it. That will only make it worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Impossible to replace wilderness fishing catching extremely strong aggressive fish with urban bass fishing.

You do have the Delta with quite areas and aggressive big stripe bass to fish for that should like your new Peacock bass lures.

Tom

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When this happens to me, I'll go out with a minimal setup (2 rods, no electronics) on kayak and focus on enjoying being outside more than fishing. No pressure, no expectation to catch anything. Maybe only throw a worm that day. That seems to help me, but everyone is different. Nothing wrong with taking a break either, will probably help the budget if you do, especially as we approach black friday. I've already got a list of stuff I don't need that I'm going to get :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Darth-Baiter said:

I got back from my travels where I fished a bucket list thing.  now locally we are entering fall->Winter quickly, and my LMB enthusiasm just isn't there.  

 

I get my replacement rod for the one I broke tomorrow, if all goes well.  (it is FedEx - so I am not holding my breath).  hopefully attaching my Zillion onto the new rod will spark it again.   I had every intention of going this morning, but when I woke up..it was 8:00 am.  work has been sucky, so mentally exhausted as well.    maybe I blow off this Thursday and fish a quiet lake.  just me and my thoughts.  

 

I had to chase a spider off my kayak yesterday.  hahah...  I'm not even BUYING gear!!!  or even looking at new baits and stuff!!!  scary.  :D

It's currently 36 degrees here with a 15mph north wind, cloudy...and 70% humidity. I had a hot streak last week. But I'm tearing down and cleaning reels today, replacing hooks and line tomorrow, and then getting back out when it warms up a little (or at least the north wind calms down). I'm sure there's probably a fish to be caught in that timespan but I don't care to be the one doing it in these conditions. I'll be going back to the lake to find different fishing than I was on before, more than likely. Anticipating water in the 60s after this

 

Tl:Dr I don't blame you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I haven’t felt real motivated lately either. I think it’s mostly that I work 6 days a week, and I stay tired because of it.

I did fish a work pond for app. 1.5 hours last week, and just caught one dink. A buddy and me are planning a trip this Thursday, so hopefully it’ll be a productive day and perk me up…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

This has been a terrible fishing year for me.  The weather has cooperated better than most years, but I can't catch a thing.  At first, I blamed the weather, but now, it's got to be something wrong with me.  It's really taken some of the joy out of it.  

One thing I've learned, and it's something I already knew but for whatever reason I have to keep relearning throughout my life, is that if you're heart's not in it, don't do it.  I pushed myself too many times this year to go fishing, and that's what's lead to burn out.  It's a hobby.  You should go because you want to, not because you feel an obligation to go.  

 

So I've taken some time away, and the burnout is slowly starting to lift.  I got involved in some woodworking, and that helped.  My relationship with fishing has always been as an escape.  And at some point, it became too regular to be an escape.  If you're doing it in every spare moment you have, it's not an escape from the ordinary, but a part of the ordinary.  

 

In order for something to feel special, it has to be rare enough to make it special.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

A friend once said that northern people evolved to de facto hibernate, to snuggle in caves through the winters. Michener opined something similar in "Alaska," writing that energy conservation was how the first Alaskans survived its winters. Maybe you're feeling that ol' cave tugging at you. I'm looking outside right now where it's raining, 37 degrees, and brown and I'm sure glad I'm in my cave! Don't worry 'bout fishing. Cave in to cavin'! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have not caught a bass over 2 lbs for a couple weeks and it's been weird.  I feel like this mega warm front actually made the bite tougher in my area...at least compared to what was happening while temps were steadily falling.

 

I feel like whenever I bring maybe one rod and a couple baits and just lose myself in the flow state, I catch more fish and I feel the value in fishing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

my therapist has a saying:

 

"action before motivation".   sometimes, i think i just have to start.  hah..this isnt anything mental, i dont think.   work, life, etc.  mostly.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
21 minutes ago, Pat Brown said:

I have not caught a bass over 2 lbs for a couple weeks and it's been weird.  I feel like this mega warm front actually made the bite tougher in my area...at least compared to what was happening while temps were steadily falling.

 

I feel like whenever I bring maybe one rod and a couple baits and just lose myself in the flow state, I catch more fish and I feel the value in fishing.

So you've been in my boat the last few weeks, have you? 😁

 

It was beautiful at 86 yesterday....today the high is 70 and cloudy, tomorrow it will be 56......SOMETHING IS ABOUT TO POP 😎

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah it's supposed to be rainy and 56° tomorrow so I reckon good times are around the bend.  Summer just had one last hiccup.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Eh. You don't "need" anything.  Unless you're a pro, fishing is recreation. If you're not feeling it right now, then take a break and do something else. 

 

I mean, I like live music but don't always feel like going out. So I don't. Sometimes I'd rather do something else. So I do that instead.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
4 hours ago, MIbassyaker said:

Eh. You don't "need" anything.  Unless you're a pro, fishing is recreation. If you're not feeling it right now, then take a break and do something else. 

 

I mean, I like live music but don't always feel like going out. So I don't. Sometimes I'd rather do something else. So I do that instead.

Man I love live music and several of my fishing buddies play around the country frequently. But I rarely go cuz it’s well beyond my bedtime 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

 

6 hours ago, Pat Brown said:

Yeah it's supposed to be rainy and 56° tomorrow so I reckon good times are around the bend.  Summer just had one last hiccup.

Preaching to the choir brother. Supposed to be 29 to start tomorrows muskie trip, possibly with a rain/snow mix for the first half of the day. High of 42. I'm chomping at the bit to get out there. My guide buddy's clients got five on the rig today. 

I'll be staying warm out there for the next 4-6 weeks by burning through a pile of 4.8" Keitechs. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
8 hours ago, thediscochef said:

It's currently 36 degrees here with a 15mph north wind, cloudy...and 70% humidity

Same here but 20mph and rainy. I’ve spent quite a while outside today too. Today’s weather is absolutely disgusting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
7 minutes ago, galyonj said:

Goat probably needed a bath anyway. Godawful smelling animals. 

I about hit a goat with a company car and kayak trailer on Sunday! Welcome to Kodak 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LrgmouthShad said:

Same here but 20mph and rainy. I’ve spent quite a while outside today too. Today’s weather is absolutely disgusting

It's warm enough right now I could do it but still

Nah

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


  • Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.