Sign in to follow this  
kjud29

What Specs Are Good For A Topwater Rod?

I'm looking to purchase a casting topwater rod. What specs are good for a topwater rod? What action and length should it be? It will be used to catch bass with buzz baits, pop R, and other topwater lures.

6'6" M/F with a softer tip. St Croix Avid for one over the counter. I may even go as short as 6'. If you're tall 7' might still be comfortable for you especially from a boat deck. What ever is comfortable and keeps you from slapping the water with the tip.

• Like 1

I really like the Shimano Crucial CRCT68MA 6' 8" MED/MED FAST but I find myself going to my St Croix Avid 6' 6" M/F AVC66MF

A buzzbait and a Pop-R are two entirely different baits, though both target the top of the water column. For a buzzbait, I use any longer extra fast rod that I'd use for a spinnerbait. match the power to the size of the bait and the cover you're fishing. The extra fast taper allows you to get into the power section of the rod for a powerful, lightning fast hookset required for big buzzbait hooks. For a treble hooked, floating topwater, I like a shorter rod, medium or medium light power, and x-fast taper for a quick recovery after twitching. I like shorter to keep the tip out of the water while using downward strokes of the rod to twitch the bait. Pop-R's are pretty light baits, and I actually use a spinning rod with 20# braid, and 12# CXX leader for them to get extra casting distance. A good compromise for both would be a 6-6 medium/x-fast rod.

• Like 3

I prefer XF rods for topwater. I have a 6'8" M/XF Rainshadow RX8 that I'm trying to build for myself......just can't find the time.

I prefer XF rods for topwater.

X2

Why is extra fast a good action? I have a fast rod and maybe I'm the one missing the fish but sometimes with a buzz bait i feel like I'm setting the hook to early and not letting him inhale it. I know a buzz bait is a reaction bait but I've missed a few fish because of this reason. Im not saying you guys are wrong because you obviously know more than me but I'm just curious for an explanation as to why an extra fast rod will do the job.

See the strike, waaaaiiiiiiit FEEL the weight of the fish, then set the hook.

• Like 2

I will have to get better at doing that. It get a little anxious once i see that big bass destroy the buzz bait haha

A buzzbait and a Pop-R are two entirely different baits, though both target the top of the water column. For a buzzbait, I use any longer extra fast rod that I'd use for a spinnerbait. match the power to the size of the bait and the cover you're fishing. The extra fast taper allows you to get into the power section of the rod for a powerful, lightning fast hookset required for big buzzbait hooks. For a treble hooked, floating topwater, I like a shorter rod, medium or medium light power, and x-fast taper for a quick recovery after twitching. I like shorter to keep the tip out of the water while using downward strokes of the rod to twitch the bait. Pop-R's are pretty light baits, and I actually use a spinning rod with 20# braid, and 12# CXX leader for them to get extra casting distance. A good compromise for both would be a 6-6 medium/x-fast rod.

What he said.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2012 at 1:51 PM, J Francho said:

Very well explained

6'3"-7' (depending on preference/your height) medium power|fast action

i prefer a 6'6"

I use a 6'3" length in a m or mh fast for poppers, walking baits, and jerkbaits and a 6'10" mh fast for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. The shorter rod allows me to work the baits with more action without hurting the ground, water, or boat and the longer rod gives more leverage for hooksets with heavier single hooks but is still short enough to let me make accurate roll casts under branches and to cover