Jump to content

SKUNK!!!


Alex from GA

Recommended Posts

First time in several years.  Rained hard and the water was very muddy.  Threw a jig to shallow docks and blowdowns.  I'll try again this week; the water has cleared up a bunch.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I've got a friend that said I skunked a few years ago. I told him that his vivid imagination was gonna get him in trouble one day.? It happens, more often in cold muddy water. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got skunked Monday (except for a tiny shad I snagged).   That's the first time in my life I've been skunked at that lake.   (I've been skunked plenty at other lakes)   I caught 9 today at a different lake.  I'm going back to skunk lake tomorrow (last day of vacation) to try and redeem myself.   

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't believe it; I was skunked yesterday too.  I went to where the water was not nearly as muddy and not a bite.  Water temp was 50-51.  Saw lots of bait that I didn't see Monday.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I went for a few hours today and took a skunking. As expected. The weather's been unseasonably warm for January. Mid 40's today. Water was 34 - 36.5 with skim ice on large sections of the lake. Marked lots of big shad schools, but couldn't buy a bite. I won't bother again until March iceout, but it was nice to get out for a bit.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are making me nervous. I'm going Sunday and already I think I smell something coming from my boat! I'll take a deep breath before I board I hope I can get it out!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I skunked out yesterday at the pond. Not too unusual as I think the fish are boycotting me again. If the sunken structure would boycott my lures that would be great. 
 

7793ve.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Skunked yesterday on Woods Res. Tennessee. First time I have been skunked in my memory. Paid a guide to teach me the lake. Cost me 250.00 to get skunked. At least I learned where not to fish!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

What did the guide say about the skunk, Bob?

 

I keep worrying I'm going to get skunked the first time I go fishing because the fish will be so cold their teeth will be chattering and my only chance to catch one will be if I happen to reel a lure through a mouth as it's open and then closes from chattering cold.

 

I'm also worried I'll catch lots of fish and big fish too and wonder why I waited so long to go fishing!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2023 at 9:31 PM, ol'crickety said:

What did the guide say about the skunk, Bob?

 

I keep worrying I'm going to get skunked the first time I go fishing because the fish will be so cold their teeth will be chattering and my only chance to catch one will be if I happen to reel a lure through a mouth as it's open and then closes from chattering cold.

 

I'm also worried I'll catch lots of fish and big fish too and wonder why I waited so long to go fishing!

He really didn't have anything to say other that he was perplexed. He thought we would catch them. Water temps were 48 deg. I have fished Woods many times and have never been skunked before. The reason I went with a guide was to learn the areas of the lake that held bass in summer and winter. The guide is actually very good. He has three DD's from last year at Woods and has also caught a 7lb 1 oz Smallie from Woods. It is a big fish lake. He showed me great structure all over the lake but nothing held fish. I only lake fish when the waters on my rivers are too angry to have me along. Lake fishing takes patience and skill, while river fishing is more forgiving of incompetence.

 

BTW, I'm sure you will catch lots like you always do and I'm looking forward to stories and pictures. I'm just sorry you and the rest of my northern friends have to wait so long. If I was stuck in the house all winter, my wife would have committed a homicide by now!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

@Blue Raider Bob At least $250 is a reasonable rate for a guide and you did learn some new spots and hopefully electronically pinned them. 

 

Yeah, I am itchin' to fish. Catching largemouth again after a half century of fishing for smallies, muskies, pike, trout, and white bass has been a hoot and a half. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ol'crickety said:

@Blue Raider Bob At least $250 is a reasonable rate for a guide and you did learn some new spots and hopefully electronically pinned them. 

 

Yeah, I am itchin' to fish. Catching largemouth again after a half century of fishing for smallies, muskies, pike, trout, and white bass has been a hoot and a half. 

It was 250.00 for half day. I still think it is reasonable considering that professional guides have to earn a living as well as provide quality equipment for their clients. They also have to be licensed and insured. Also it must be a great stress hoping that their clients can have a great day on the water. They also have to deal with the whinny, hard to please crowd, so I totally respect their situation and I tip big, even if I'm skunked. You can lead a horse to water but..........

     Since we were in his boat, the only pinging I could do was in my head, but I pinged away and took notes! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
27 minutes ago, Blue Raider Bob said:

It was 250.00 for half day. I still think it is reasonable considering that professional guides have to earn a living as well as provide quality equipment for their clients. They also have to be licensed and insured. Also it must be a great stress hoping that their clients can have a great day on the water. They also have to deal with the whinny, hard to please crowd, so I totally respect their situation and I tip big, even if I'm skunked. You can lead a horse to water but..........

     Since we were in his boat, the only pinging I could do was in my head, but I pinged away and took notes! 

And a captains license, I’ve got two buddies taking the class right now ? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Skunks happen.  I once got skunked while guiding for king salmon on one of the best king salmon steams in Alaska, where I had 10 years of experience, during the peak of the season.  I fished the wrong whole, with the wrong technique, and didn't have enough time to change, after realizing my mistake.  Can happen anytime to any one.  It was only a temporary setback, that I learned from, and I finished the season having one of my best years.  Now that I think about it, I really didn't get skunked, if I consider the whole season.  From now on I'm am only going to count fish after a whole trip, or maybe a year, therefore being assured of never getting a skunk again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

My words as a guide always was…“I can take you to the fish but I can’t catch them for you, especially if they won’t bite”.  My solution…..head south. Waaaaay South…..?

BC8921DA-1B63-4941-B2A7-B69F7C77B867.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am continuing to be humbled by my area lakes. Yesterday on Nickajack Lake, one of the Tennessee River chain impoundments, I fished hard in the high muddy water.  30 MPH wind gusts made it difficult, and I only caught one dink. There was floating grass in the muddy water everywhere. There was hardly a retrieve that wasn't fouled. If I didn't love fishing so much, I would hate it! Water still under 50 deg. Last year spoiled me because I usually catch fish every trip with some river trips bring 40 or better. I think the gods of the river are paying me back for my arrogance! 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 minute ago, Blue Raider Bob said:

30 MPH wind gusts made it difficult

 

Those winds would make fishing from a canoe impossible. 

 

3 minutes ago, Blue Raider Bob said:

There was floating grass in the muddy water everywhere.

 

How did you even catch a dink? Your Level of Difficulty upgrades your dink to a DD. Congrats on your DD, Bob!

 

Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ol'crickety said:

 

Those winds would make fishing from a canoe impossible. 

 

 

How did you even catch a dink? Your Level of Difficulty upgrades your dink to a DD. Congrats on your DD, Bob!

 

Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

     Katy, I went to my favorite ramp several miles below the dam. I knew the water would be high but I was shocked at how high. The river was over the fishing pier that I use for a fishing gauge. (See the pics in the thread "Show your fishing holes", first posting). 

     This activated plan B, which is the main Lake of Nickajack. It is an hour and fifteen minutes away from my home so I am not turning around and driving home without a fight. The water at the ramp at Shellmound, (Nickajack Lake proper), was muddy and full of floating grass. I put in intending to get out of the wind the best I could but no takers wherever I tried. Finally I braved the wind to fish a point that the river channel touched that I have caught fish before. Using a mini-chatterbait with a swimbait tail, I was able to fool a pounder but that was it. At least no SKUNK!  Another hour or two being miserable compelled my to cry UNCLE, and head home. At least I can sit at my pond and watch the Bluegill eat the fish food pellets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
38 minutes ago, Blue Raider Bob said:

I am continuing to be humbled by my area lakes. Yesterday on Nickajack Lake, one of the Tennessee River chain impoundments, I fished hard in the high muddy water.  30 MPH wind gusts made it difficult, and I only caught one dink. There was floating grass in the muddy water everywhere. There was hardly a retrieve that wasn't fouled. If I didn't love fishing so much, I would hate it! Water still under 50 deg. Last year spoiled me because I usually catch fish every trip with some river trips bring 40 or better. I think the gods of the river are paying me back for my arrogance! 

When it’s raging, below the dam is where the fish can be had. I wouldn’t get close tho, maybe half mile 

 

Woops just saw your next post I guess you tried that 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.