Jump to content

Will the world record small mouth be broken?


TN bassmaster

Recommended Posts

  • Super User

I knew the world record smallmouth was from Tennessee, but I had to look up the details on this fish to refresh my memory.

 

The IGFA All-Tackle record for the species is 11-pounds, 15-ounces from Lake Dale Hollow in 1955 by angler David Hayes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

If you asked me a year ago I probably would have said it was possible although unlikely. Now, I believe it’s only a matter of time. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I believe the SM and Spot records will fall much sooner than the LGM one.  

 

SM are much more vulnerable to FFS, and I think the next WR will caught because of FFS.   Lake Erie 10lb fish was caught because of it, and I expect the WR to be caught in a very similar manner.   Some savant with lots of time on the water will eventually find the one rock or boulder that she is holding on.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

The giant smallmouth that David Hayes caught has stood as the record for a long time but recent catches of trophy size smallies from many different states & locations suggest that the old record is more venerable than ever before. The top 25 smallies ever caught only include 6 fish over 10 lbs that's including the recently 10.15 smallie caught in Erie waters. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

All records are meant to be broken with few exception.

SM are so vicarious that if the record exists, it will be caught. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
12 hours ago, AlabamaSpothunter said:

I believe the SM and Spot records will fall much sooner than the LGM one.  

 

SM are much more vulnerable to FFS, and I think the next WR will caught because of FFS.   Lake Erie 10lb fish was caught because of it, and I expect the WR to be caught in a very similar manner.   Some savant with lots of time on the water will eventually find the one rock or boulder that she is holding on.  

I believe the spot record has fallen a couple times in the last decade or so out in California. I don’t remember the lake but it was producing some freaks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect a world record smallie may come from the great lakes, or great lakes area.  I'd like to see @A-Jay catch it.   The thing going against any new world record (for a well know species) is fishing pressure.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It already has been broken.  This topic brings up a discussion of world record vs. recorded world record.  The things that have to align perfectly to allow a record to be properly recorded are strict enough that this record, and every other fishing record, has been broken repeatedly but not recorded.  It's almost certain that a "sometimes" fisherman using a hand-me-down-rod on a small pond somewhere broke this record (and a bunch of others) and didn't have a scale or realize what he had.  Same with the "greatest (insert sport) player of all-time".  They have to be famous to be recognized. 

 

So, yes.  Someday someone will catch a bigger fish, have a scale, know what they are looking at, and know how to save it and properly certify it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, BigAngus752 said:

It already has been broken.  This topic brings up a discussion of world record vs. recorded world record.  The things that have to align perfectly to allow a record to be properly recorded are strict enough that this record, and every other fishing record, has been broken repeatedly but not recorded.  It's almost certain that a "sometimes" fisherman using a hand-me-down-rod on a small pond somewhere broke this record (and a bunch of others) and didn't have a scale or realize what he had.  Same with the "greatest (insert sport) player of all-time".  They have to be famous to be recognized. 

 

So, yes.  Someday someone will catch a bigger fish, have a scale, know what they are looking at, and know how to save it and properly certify it. 

 

Do you have any evidence to substantiate your broad statement?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
1 minute ago, TN bassmaster said:

You really think so? 

I really do. Been 70 years, I’m the leader in the clubhouse on this bet 

 

now if they started damming up rivers again tomorrow, I would change my tune. Most reservoirs peak after initial construction then slowly decline forever . Unless they drain them, then there’s another boom upon refill 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TnRiver46 said:

I really do. Been 70 years, I’m the leader in the clubhouse on this bet 

 

now if they started damming up rivers again tomorrow, I would change my tune. Most reservoirs peak after initial construction then slowly decline forever . Unless they drain them, then there’s another boom upon refill 

What about live scope and those 10s on the Great Lakes or Dale hollow with ffs ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
4 minutes ago, TN bassmaster said:

What about live scope and those 10s on the Great Lakes or Dale hollow with ffs ? 

10? That’s 2 lbs short……..

 

there have been 10s caught in Alabama over the years, and a few from dale hollow too. FFS doesn’t make the fish heavier. 
 

also dale hollow is being somewhat overtaken by massive largemouth 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
3 hours ago, Woody B said:

I suspect a world record smallie may come from the great lakes, or great lakes area. 

 

This would be my guess too.  Bigger water, more places to hide, and gradually warming temperatures.  Tons of food.  Not necessarily FROM one of the Great Lakes, but in the Upper Midwest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 12poundbass said:

I believe the spot record has fallen a couple times in the last decade or so out in California. I don’t remember the lake but it was producing some freaks. 

On an unrelated note, I think there should be a distinction made between Alabama bass and spotted bass. It’s not really fair to compare the two fish since one grows much faster than the other.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, yes, I believe it will. If I had to guess, it would be Cayuga, Erie or one of the TN River tailgates, Wheeler/Wilson/Pickwick, etc. Will FFS play a role? Maybe. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dwight Hottle said:

 

Do you have any evidence to substantiate your broad statement?

Only widely accepted statistical probabilities.  But give me a few and I'll make something up that the press will like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
7 hours ago, Drew03cmc said:

Personally, yes, I believe it will. If I had to guess, it would be Cayuga, Erie or one of the TN River tailgates, Wheeler/Wilson/Pickwick, etc. Will FFS play a role? Maybe. 

My money has always been on those three lakes in N Alabama, however the Erie monster made me less sure.      A 5-6lb class fish below those dams fishing threadfins is like the easy button to getting your SM PB ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


  • fishing reel

    fishing forum

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.