Jump to content

Bass catching challenge.


Munkin

Recommended Posts

  • Super User

So in December of last year I got into a bass fishing challenge. It boils down to being able to catch a bass every month of the year for 2023. So far I am 10 for 10 this year and think I can make it. Weather is turning cold quickly but November should not be a problem. December I may have to break out the bear hair jigs again but I think I can make it happen. The latest I have ever caught a bass was December 26th and the earliest was January 1st. February is the hardest month IMO but this year was warmer than usual which helped. Now I just need to hit up some friends to tie me some more bear hair jigs as I lost most of my stash back in January/February.

 

 

Allen

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator

Never really thought about it but I’ve always completed that challenge by default (I fish a lot)

 

I’d be in rough shape if I didn’t catch a bass for a month 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

I’d be in rough shape if I didn’t catch a bass for a month 

 

Me too.  Obviously this isn't possible in some places due to climate.  I always get a little nervous every new month, and week until I catch one.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in Indiana and have been able to fish and catch year round for several years now. We still get locked in but not nearly as long as we did decades ago. Looking forward to starting my Nov. tally. We're in our first real cold snap of the fall but will rebound nicely by the weekend.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am going to try this starting January. I think the first 3 months will be the hardest and I fish usually max 4 times a month. January feb may only be one each. I’ll have my work cut out for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

That would indeed be a challenge for me.  I don't think I've ever caught a bass in January.  At least not that I can remember.  Even catching a bass in December and February are rare occurrences for me that don't happen every year.  March can be tough too if the weather doesn't cooperate.  Even April and May can be dicey because of the high winds and spring thunderstorms keeping me off the water, often preventing me from even trying.  

 

But usually from April to November, so long as I can get out on the water, I'm good for at least one bass.  I rarely get skunked in those months.  I rarely catch a limit (which is a measly 6 here).  But I can get that one pretty consistently.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Above the Mason-Dixon line water tends to freeze in northern   States and some have closed seasons. 

Where I live we bass fish year around and it’s a simple matter to adjust to the seasonal periods.

cold water the bass go deeper to find bait and slightly warmer water so sonar and bird watching to locate bait with more vertical lure presentation to catch them.

1 lure over looked is ice jigs, now several are available. Vertical jigging structure spoons is a good presentation.

Curious when the OP mentions bear hair jigs, the only bear hair I am familiar with is Polar bear hair, now illegal to use.

I use buck tail hair jigs with pork rind trailers very successfully year around.

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2023 at 10:32 PM, Munkin said:

So in December of last year I got into a bass fishing challenge. It boils down to being able to catch a bass every month of the year for 2023. So far I am 10 for 10 this year and think I can make it. Weather is turning cold quickly but November should not be a problem. December I may have to break out the bear hair jigs again but I think I can make it happen. The latest I have ever caught a bass was December 26th and the earliest was January 1st. February is the hardest month IMO but this year was warmer than usual which helped. Now I just need to hit up some friends to tie me some more bear hair jigs as I lost most of my stash back in January/February.

 

 

Allen

 

I'm on the same mission as you and 2023 is also lining up at 11/11 so far.  I'm really on every month since March 2022.  I'm not interested in ice fishing so this will be my first calendar year of success if I can pull off a December bass.  The reality is that January and February are the most difficult months and I was lucky to slip a canoe in during a couple of those warm spells last winter and find success.

 

A new challenge I'm thinking about is having a 15lb/5 limit day in 9/12 months.  Considering I can barely find open water in Jan & Feb and usually only a week or two in March, this one seems considerably more difficult.  I'm lucky to fish a healthy and robust lake, but September is a historic dinkfest nemesis and generating multiple bites in December is usually difficult.  Even August can sometimes be challenging for me to find numbers of quality fish balanced with time available.  Here's to trying!

 

scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
12 hours ago, WRB said:

Above the Mason-Dixon line water tends to freeze in northern   States and some have closed seasons. 

Where I live we bass fish year around and it’s a simple matter to adjust to the seasonal periods.

cold water the bass go deeper to find bait and slightly warmer water so sonar and bird watching to locate bait with more vertical lure presentation to catch them.

1 lure over looked is ice jigs, now several are available. Vertical jigging structure spoons is a good presentation.

Curious when the OP mentions bear hair jigs, the only bear hair I am familiar with is Polar bear hair, now illegal to use.

I use buck tail hair jigs with pork rind trailers very successfully year around.

Tom

 

I live about 5 miles south of the Mason-Dixon line now. When I say Bear Hair its black bear hair which acts differently in water than bucktail. I have been trying to find some brown bear hair with no luck the past couple of years.

 

Allen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I am 11 skunk less per month for 2023.  

 

yesterday was close to resetting the clock on this one.  but I got one to the boat!!  one GLORIOUS bass.

 

trying a new spot next Saturday.  well same secret lake, but trying a new off road launch.  I feel pretty good about it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
9 hours ago, Munkin said:

 

I live about 5 miles south of the Mason-Dixon line now. When I say Bear Hair its black bear hair which acts differently in water than bucktail. I have been trying to find some brown bear hair with no luck the past couple of years.

 

Allen

Brown bear is a Grizzly bear, there are Black bears with brown fur.

Look up Bob Marriott Fly Fishing store they have everything.

Tom

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's getting cold in Canada. Water temps are low 40s.

Caught this gal today, probably the last of the year. I normally can't catch smallies from Nov.- Feb.

But wish me luck, I'll be fishing again this year.

rsz_20231111_133147.jpg.452f3ad855a081f5a298b0d6cec44170.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
6 hours ago, WRB said:

Brown bear is a Grizzly bear, there are Black bears with brown fur.

Look up Bob Marriott Fly Fishing store they have everything.

Tom

 

Thanks for the information, I have been looking for brown bear.

 

Allen 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Living in Indiana, it was almost always weather dependent. Completed the challenge many a years, but Jan and Feb were always the questionable months due to lake freezing. Recent winters allowed for stretches of open water during those months, and catches were decent. During really bad winters, the only way to pursue and complete the challenge was to make the drive and fish on large rivers, preferably with a warm discharge of some sort, or through the ice on smaller ponds. Have done both at various times over the years, but finally moved to SC this year, so the challenge should be much easier going forward - lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Super User

Don't think I can complete the challenge this year. Re-injured my back and knee in December which really limits my fishing. Finally able to stand more than 30 minutes at a time, maybe I can fish or pour some baits.

 

Allen

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Living in Florida, it's so hard to imagine not being able to catch fish year round, or at least a few a month. Heck, that's like impossible down here, impossible to not catch fish lol. We do have so called "tough times", that is, when the water temps drop. Florida fish are wussies when it comes to cold weather, certainly not the kinda cold that some of you guys experience. We still can catch 'em, only have to work a bit harder at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Feeling better and had the day free in 45 degree weather so I hit a local creek. Not the biggest bass but for December 29th it completes my 12 month challenge. This also sets a new personal record for latest bass date caught in the year. Previous record was December 23 so now I am at the 29th. Fish was caught on one of my own poorly tied hair jigs.

 

Allen

412321238_878923893736188_4114009029035579347_n.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


  • Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.