Other Species Latest Catch Pics Thread

Stopped off for 30 minutes yesterday at my favorite retention pond. Caught 3 bluegill 2 crappie and a couple small bass. It was fun on my ultralight and more to try out my newest purchase this spring which is a Stradic 1000 reel. As a bonus all my fish came on my $1.00 Wal Mart clearance jig pack which I was going to give to a handful of young boys fishing right by me until I saw one launch a small bass in the air doing backflips as his preferred release method ?F7F4D5E4-B082-4B34-BDF1-A450B6B8D1FC.jpeg.d4122543e5661260e78b801171391a68.jpeg3689D45D-3EFA-4B65-AE1F-05AE3B38C4FC.jpeg.45dd8b4a1b15f1f2c80f3407ad55ee23.jpeg33FF8246-9457-48CC-A28D-457379DB11DD.jpeg.2952706699f509f22a1b242b31c742bb.jpeg

• Like 8

• Super User
7 minutes ago, Eric 26 said:

Stopped off for 30 minutes yesterday at my favorite retention pond. Caught 3 bluegill 2 crappie and a couple small bass. It was fun on my ultralight and more to try out my newest purchase this spring which is a Stradic 1000 reel. As a bonus all my fish came on my $1.00 Wal Mart clearance jig pack which I was going to give to a handful of young boys fishing right by me until I saw one launch a small bass in the air doing backflips as his preferred release method ?F7F4D5E4-B082-4B34-BDF1-A450B6B8D1FC.jpeg.d4122543e5661260e78b801171391a68.jpeg3689D45D-3EFA-4B65-AE1F-05AE3B38C4FC.jpeg.45dd8b4a1b15f1f2c80f3407ad55ee23.jpeg33FF8246-9457-48CC-A28D-457379DB11DD.jpeg.2952706699f509f22a1b242b31c742bb.jpeg

That Crappie is crazy cool colored.   Kind thought on the donation, fish handling is a pet peeve of mine.   It's hard enough on the fish even when you try your best.....I had a Bass slip out of my hand yesterday twice, wanted to slap myself lol

• Like 1

@AlabamaSpothunter Although I didn’t photograph the second crappie he was actually darker almost to the point of being all black with a beat up tail and even his top fin was ragged. He fell out of my hand thankfully into too shallow of water and was disoriented enough to trap himself in a big ol pile of slimy weeds, as my work boots are waterproof I had no issues getting him back into the proper water level but like you I still felt bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric 26 said:

Looks like a well spent 30 minutes my friend!

• Thanks 1

• Super User
3 hours ago, Eric 26 said:

Although I didn’t photograph the second crappie he was actually darker almost to the point of being all black with a beat up tail and even his top fin was ragged.

The male crappies turn much darker during the spawn.  I caught a few last week that looked like that too.  Their fins and tails get beat up when they're in that mode too, just like a bass.

• Like 2

• Super User

Caught my lifetime specked trout over the weekend, 28"

No words to describe the riot and pandemonium, but I'll try when I write a condensed report of our coast kayak monsoon trip.  

vCBlGPC.jpg

iWe8BbP.jpg

even the rat reds were riotous last weekend

QkdZR6G.jpg

8lXUWFz.jpg

my previous lifetime spec was 27", caught at Green Is, Lower Laguna Madre, 2005

z2VkShS.jpg

• Like 13

• Super User
57 minutes ago, bulldog1935 said:

Caught my lifetime specked trout over the weekend, 28"

No words to describe the riot and pandemonium, but I'll try when I write a condensed report of our coast kayak monsoon trip.  

vCBlGPC.jpg

iWe8BbP.jpg

even the rat reds were riotous last weekend

QkdZR6G.jpg

8lXUWFz.jpg

my previous lifetime spec was 27", caught at Green Island, Lower Laguna Madre in 2005

z2VkShS.jpg

Man that's awesome fish, congrats!  

Looks like you caught it on your Zillion.....are the JDM Zillions Magsealed, I know the USDM Zillion HD TW is, but not sure if my JDM HD TW or SV TW are.

• Thanks 1

• Super User

@AlabamaSpothunter - yes, Zillion uses magseal drive bearings.  

It's my braid-raced Zillion that's embarrasingly pretty, on a 3-year spool of PE#1.2 X-braid - probably good that I had to replace my leader after Arroyo trip in Feb.  

u9Rlgny.jpg?1 pfevdbX.jpg?1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Super User
3 minutes ago, bulldog1935 said:

@AlabamaSpothunter - yes, Zillion uses magseal drive bearings.  

It's my braid-raced Zillion that's embarrasingly pretty, on a 3-year spool of PE#1.2 X-braid - probably good that I had to replace my leader after Arroyo trip in Feb.  

u9Rlgny.jpg?1 pfevdbX.jpg?1

Thanks, and that's awesome to hear, wonder why they don't advertise it like they do on the USDM models.  

The Zillion SV TW is the prettiest reel I've seen, and then you replaced the parts that I consider "cheap" on it outside of the spool as I love the SV spool on it.   The drag dial and handle are sub par, knobs are okay.   On the HD TW model I have it's perfect outside of the fact I just don't like the black on black finish.   The SV TW finish is just beautiful, you feel like a rockstar with that reel in your hand.  

• Like 2

• Super User

@AlabamaSpothunter

I also need to give credit to Steve on my lifetime trout.  We were in the middle of monsoons, wind and rain predictions by weather services were totally wrong, and Steve called a 10 am window for us to launch (200' from our RV pad), by watching Doppler on his phone.  We only got 2 hours before the wind drove us back in, and that was enough to cover 3 miles up Trout Bayou and drift halfway back - then tack the building 18 kt wind to get back in.  

aFdtzQw.jpg

• Like 6

If I keep catching decent size catfish I'm going to start targeting them.   

9.84 pound Channel Cat on a bladed jig.   I've never been that familiar with different species of Catfish.  According to various sources 10 pounds is considered a trophy for a Channel Cat around here.   (30 for a Blue or Flathead) I got a replica made of the 53 pound Flathead I caught last year.  I caught an 18 pound Channel a while back but didn't realize they ran smaller than Blues and Flatheads.  Had this one been 10 I would have taken more pictures and measurements for a replica.  It would be cool to have a big Blue, and Channel swimming on my wall with my Flathead.  

May 13 cat.jpg

• Like 14

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, Steveo-1969 said:

This looks like a blue cat not a channel catfish.

@Bluebasser86 can you confirm or deny?

Definitely a blue. The straight anal fin is a dead giveaway. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Definitely a blue. The straight anal fin is a dead giveaway. 

When I was a kid an old man told me that a Channel had a forked tail, and a Blue didn't.  I see now that the "internet" says both have a forked tail.  I don't look at them that close, just look at the pictures later.   The one I pictured a few days ago was more Olive colored than most of the ones I catch that I call "Blues".   

I do know this one is a flathead.   

Catfish1.jpg

• Like 10

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, Woody B said:

When I was a kid an old man told me that a Channel had a forked tail, and a Blue didn't.  I see now that the "internet" says both have a forked tail.  I don't look at them that close, just look at the pictures later.   The one I pictured a few days ago was more Olive colored than most of the ones I catch that I call "Blues".   

I do know this one is a flathead.   

Catfish1.jpg

Flatheads and bullheads don't have forked tails, blues and channels do. It's the anal fins and rays in that fin that are the main ways to tell the difference between channels and blues, except in small fish where channels typically have spots and blues do not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thediscochef said:

What in the heck is this? Flathead? Bullhead? It slammed a chatterbait and was very well behaved getting off the hook

20230526_120352.jpg

20230526_120342.jpg

A baby flathead. Have caught quite a few little ones on jigs and crank baits. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Caught these 2 at my favorite retention pond yesterday. I would have thought I recaught the same fish twice if it wasn’t for the fact the first one I released was stuck in the weed infested area that went from the shore to about 15 feet out. I almost waded in to re-release him but he finally figured it out. After the second catch and me having to launch him back into the water so he didn’t have the same problem I decided I’m going to hit some other ponds with cleaner edge’s until they treat the pond via the homeowners association.6EF20BE9-3859-4843-B2F4-670CA81E2B40.thumb.jpeg.3fe57e7753b2e1b326832d06dd865493.jpegCBFA6163-A406-4D11-B448-75458B11111F.thumb.jpeg.e1074f9c1ff58e531c2cd0a3bfdfa917.jpeg

Edited by Eric 26
Grammar
  • Like 12

Snuck out onto my backyard lake for a couple hours this morning before it got too hot, to see if I could find a pike or two. 
Well, that’s exactly what I found. One about 36” swiped and missed my bait right at the boat, and this guy, a solid 40” long fish that t-boned a jerkbait about 10’ from the boat. Was about the biggest pike I’ve caught out of this lake, and my first 40” fish of the year ( granted I’ve only been out twice, so that’s a pretty good average so far).

IMG_9395.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• Super User
3 hours ago, Way north bass guy said:

One about 36” swiped and missed my bait right at the boat, and this guy, a solid 40” long fish

Those are a rare fish nowadays here in Minnesota. 95% of the pike here are of the annoying small snot rocket variety.

5 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Those are a rare fish nowadays here in Minnesota. 95% of the pike here are of the annoying small snot rocket variety.

There’s quite a few lakes like that around here too, mainly the smaller lakes that get more pressure. Lots of mid size to larger lakes don’t get near the pressure, and have more places for them to hide and get a chance to get larger. Also, most of the lakes around here have a pretty good variety and amount of forage for them as well. 

• Like 3