Other Species Latest Catch Pics Thread

• Super User

Hey @T-Billy the Beckman muskie net got used this morning a couple times.  Boated a 38 inch tiger muskie and several smaller northern pike including a 33.5 incher. :cheer:

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

• Like 18

• Super User
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

Hey @T-Billy the Beckman muskie net got used this morning a couple times.  Boated a 38 inch tiger muskie and several smaller northern pike including a 33.5 incher. :cheer:

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

Atta boy!!! Those tigers are beautiful fish. Congrats!!!

• Thanks 1

I got catfished again today.   It was quite a bit smaller than the 32 pound Flathead last week.  I didn't weigh or measure it.   Small enough to boat flip though.   FWIW I pretty much never weigh a fish I boat flip.   If it's too heavy my rod might find out and decide to break.   

July 15-cat.jpg

• Like 9

• Super User
1 hour ago, roadwarrior said:

I Googled white perch and it looks like you nailed it! 

Yep - White Perch....caught them all the time fishing Indian Lake when I lived in Worcester, MA

5 hours ago, gimruis said:

What the heck are those things?  Cisco/Tulibee?

Can confirm white perch. 

• Like 1

• Super User
On 7/20/2023 at 6:13 PM, Woody B said:

FWIW White Perch are actually a Bass species related to White Bass and Striped Bass.    Sometimes called "Silver Bass".   

Yep, white perch, stripers and white bass are in the family Moronidae or “temperate bass”, where largemouth and other black basses are in the centrarchidae or “sunfishes” family under the genus “micropterus” :) 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
On 7/20/2023 at 6:13 PM, Woody B said:

FWIW White Perch are actually a Bass species related to White Bass and Striped Bass.    Sometimes called "Silver Bass".   

Sounds delicious 

White Perch are considered invasive here.  People love to use them for Catfish bait.   When I catch one I put it in my livewell then give it to the next boat I see catfishing.

I have no problem catching them when I don’t need them for bait. Forget the bait and they disappear ? They’re everywhere in Wylie and Mtn Island.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

White Perch are annoying but excellent catfish and striper bait. Big bass seem to enjoy them also. 

• Super User
13 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

Sounds delicious 

They're actually fairly decent - I'd take home all I could back in MA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MN Fisher said:

They're actually fairly decent - I'd take home all I could back in MA.

They are tasty.  I use to fish for them when I was much younger in the Bohemia River in NE Maryland.  They're considered a semi-anadromous fish.  They don't spend time in salt water like striped bass.  Around here they live in brackish water and move into fresh water or slightly brackish water to spawn in March.  If you hit a large school you can quickly fill a stringer.    

• Like 1

I used to get big ones in some New Hampshire lakes, well over two pounds. They are a very strong fighting fish at that size. In Winnipesaukee where the state record was caught, they would get as big as the smallmouth, 2-3lbs or more. Sometimes deep crankbaits would get them.