Harold Scoggins

IT CAN NOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH

Please folks, find a good, comfortable PFD and wear it! Take every precaution possible when you're on the water and insist others to do the same. My prayers go out to this soldier's family.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/fort-hood-sergeant-dies-in-boating-accident-on-texas-lake-1.565885?fbclid=IwAR3NP_FnW54TyDBydCQzZXNam29rPf-DPqUpgNMDjvZngpgosZBtrinE9nQ

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Yes Sir!  😉

• Like 1

Prayers sent.

Cold water is unforgiving.

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rest in peace brother.

• Like 1

I always wear one. Never take it off.

• Like 1

Buddy and I recently talked about the danger we all take when we go fishing that nobody really thinks about. You'll never catch me in the water without a PFD. Don't care if it's 3fow. 

I always wear mine when running the boat but I take it off when fishing unless it is cold. Then I leave it on. I use a standard PFD. I don't trust the ones that inflate. Considering the shape my knees are in I probably should wear it all the time.

• Like 1

My PFD goes on just before launching, comes off after I'm back at the ramp.

I admittedly never wore my PFD while Yak fishing up until this year, mostly because the PFD I always carried behind my seat was a cheap bulky uncomfortable water-skiing vest. I ended up pulling the trigger on a stolquist EBB before this past season and could not be happier wearing it (which I always do now). Even in the summer I barely notice it's on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MassYak85 said:

I admittedly never wore my PFD while Yak fishing up until this year

That brings up another question.  I live in Minnesota and often see yakkers without a PFD on.  Isn't that illegal?  Sometimes I see it behind them on the back rest but sometimes I don't see one anywhere too.  Might be a state by state law.

7 minutes ago, gimruis said:

That brings up another question.  I live in Minnesota and often see yakkers without a PFD on.  Isn't that illegal?  Sometimes I see it behind them on the back rest but sometimes I don't see one anywhere too.  Might be a state by state law.

At least in MA, you are required by law to wear one in a kayak between September 15 and May 15 because of water temperatures. I always followed that law but couldn't be bothered to wear it most other times. Decided this year to change that, since really the biggest danger most of the times is getting hit by a boat not hypothermia. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gimruis said:

I don't know if it's illegal not to wear one but its an immediate DQ if caught without your PFD on in any KBF event.

17 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Nope - from https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/lifejackets.html

"Minnesota law requires one U.S. Coast Guard approved, properly sized, and easily accessible life jacket for each person on the boat.

All children under ten are required to wear an approved life jacket at all times while in a boat."

So you're only required to have it at hand, not to wear it unless you're under 10 years old.

Such a tragedy. I wear mine at all times while boating or kayaking.

Really sad story, just wear it!!! Also for outboards, hook up that kill switch.

• Like 1

When I kayak fished shallow rivers I never wore or even carried a PFD but after I turned 75 I now wear one.  In my boat I wear an inflatable all the time and have for years.

• Like 2

I'm not a strong swimmer, at all. I always wear my Mustang auto PFD (boat, not kayak). I often wonder if it'll actually deploy if I ever fall in. 

I’m not the best swimmer but I keep my PFD on the entire time I’m out on the water no matter if it’s 3 feet or 30 feet.

Many people don't realize how fast and hard that cold water can hit you. 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, MN Fisher said:

My PFD goes on just before launching, comes off after I'm back at the ramp.

X2

On 1/29/2019 at 10:45 PM, NorthernBasser said:

I'm not a strong swimmer, at all. I always wear my Mustang auto PFD (boat, not kayak). I often wonder if it'll actually deploy if I ever fall in. 

Eliminate the worry with foam. 

• Like 2

2123277720_PFDsBR.jpg.7fb1794b4fa8de33bf071d4346b090af.jpg

A-Jay

1 hour ago, A-Jay said:

2123277720_PFDsBR.jpg.7fb1794b4fa8de33bf071d4346b090af.jpg

A-Jay

Let me guess - the pink one is yours, the Mustang is for your lady. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, MN Fisher said:

Let me guess - the pink one is yours, the Mustang is for your lady. 😉