Jump to content

Latest Tackle Purchase Thread (Bait Monkey Victim Support Group)


Master Bait'r

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, FishTank said:

I received a great coupon for my birthday so this came up to $150 and with the gift cards I got from work and family,  it cost me $0. Going for a test run tomorrow. 

 

 

20230929_191010.jpg

You will definitely like the reel, that is what I started of with for my bfs reel. I always wanted to try the Dobyns finesse rod with mine but I couldn’t ever find them locally. The one time that I did see them was when they were not selling the reels. So I ended up buying a zodias ml bfs and that was a very different type of bfs rod. Then I ended up trying a abu garcia xenon ml rod and I could cast under 1/16 pretty easily in most conditions. I am definitely curious to see what your opinion is of the curado bfs versus the alderbarren bfs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
7 hours ago, Jmurphy87 said:

You will definitely like the reel, that is what I started of with for my bfs reel. I always wanted to try the Dobyns finesse rod with mine but I couldn’t ever find them locally. The one time that I did see them was when they were not selling the reels. So I ended up buying a zodias ml bfs and that was a very different type of bfs rod. Then I ended up trying a abu garcia xenon ml rod and I could cast under 1/16 pretty easily in most conditions. I am definitely curious to see what your opinion is of the curado bfs versus the alderbarren bfs.

I hope so but I went to put line on it this morning, I ended up going down a 2 hour rabbit hole.

 

The line guide stopped going back and forth.  I did a partial tear down and couldn't find the issue. Finally, I gave the reel a little shake and  there was an extra spring in there somewhere. 

 

It took me a few tries to reassemble it but it's working. Heading out to test it.

 

 

20230930_114928.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been looking for some more jerk baits, my plan is to work on building some more confidence with them next year. I wanted to go to a different store but I don’t have my car back from the shop yet and I am on foot. This time I headed off to Ollie’s. I decided that I needed some more lucky craft jerk baits. I got various sizes and 2 lv 500 lipless.

 

5 lightning pointer 110sp

2 slender pointer 97mr

2 flash pointer 100

1 pointer 78 sp 

2 pointer 95

2 lv500

 

not a bad haul for $80

IMG_1533.jpeg

IMG_1534.jpeg

IMG_1535.jpeg

IMG_1536.jpeg

IMG_1537.jpeg

IMG_1538.jpeg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, FishTank said:

I hope so but I went to put line on it this morning, I ended up going down a 2 hour rabbit hole.

 

The line guide stopped going back and forth.  I did a partial tear down and couldn't find the issue. Finally, I gave the reel a little shake and  there was an extra spring in there somewhere. 

 

It took me a few tries to reassemble it but it's working. Heading out to test it.

 

 

20230930_114928.jpg

How did the curado bfs end up doing for you ? The only issue that I had with my curado bfs was that the thumb bar was sticky, although I still used it it was sort of off putting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Browsing through Dicks during the last of the rain hopefully, I came upon these; 3 for 15$

 

97B3B0C4-BB71-4E46-8935-FCEB74F7CFF7.jpeg

Edited by herder
adding comma's
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
14 hours ago, Jmurphy87 said:

How did the curado bfs end up doing for you ? The only issue that I had with my curado bfs was that the thumb bar was sticky, although I still used it it was sort of off putting. 

Pretty good. I caught 3 today out on the water with it and 5 at my favorite pond yesterday.  Only 1 keeper and it was barely 14in. 

 

Except for the size, it doesn't feel much different from the regular Curado K. It seems like a little work horse that can throw light baits.  I think, like the Aldebaran BFS, it will take a few trips to break it in but that might be its' only comparison to the Aldebaran. 

 

The Aldebaran is smoother, casts further, lighter, and, in general, more fun to fish. So far, the Curado's brake system is easier to get dialed in though.

 

In the end, I have no real complaints for it. I think if someone wants a quality reel (minus the extra spring I got) that is user friendly and they don't want to sink $400+(USDM) into a BFS reel, the Curado is the way to go. If you don't mind getting the JDM Aldebaran (~$255), then that would be my choice instead. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FishTank said:

Pretty good. I caught 3 today out on the water with it and 5 at my favorite pond yesterday.  Only 1 keeper and it was barely 14in. 

 

Except for the size, it doesn't feel much different from the regular Curado K. It seems like a little work horse that can throw light baits.  I think, like the Aldebaran BFS, it will take a few trips to break it in but that might be its' only comparison to the Aldebaran. 

 

The Aldebaran is smoother, casts further, lighter, and, in general, more fun to fish. So far, the Curado's brake system is easier to get dialed in though.

 

In the end, I have no real complaints for it. I think if someone wants a quality reel (minus the extra spring I got) that is user friendly and they don't want to sink $400+(USDM) into a BFS reel, the Curado is the way to go. If you don't mind getting the JDM Aldebaran (~$255), then that would be choice instead. 

Thanks for letting me know how it worked for you, and the comparison to the alderbaran. I caught my pb on the curado bfs, small by largemouth standards at 4.74lbs but the reel handled it with ease. My dream bfs reel was the alderbaran, that’s why I was curious how it stacked up against it. I would assume that the alderbaran can throw lower weights easier with the lighter spool, probably like my Mets vs my curado. Giving you that smoothness and refinement that upper end shimano reels due. Thanks again I appreciate you taking the time to give me your feedback.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
32 minutes ago, Jmurphy87 said:

 I caught my pb on the curado bfs, small by largemouth standards at 4.74lbs 

If a 5lb bass is considered small, I wanna fish the lakes you're fishing! That's a nice bass anywhere in the country. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NorthernBasser said:

If a 5lb bass is considered small, I wanna fish the lakes you're fishing! That's a nice bass anywhere in the country. 

Small weight wise, considering some people catch 6-8lb regularly in other parts of the country. For Michigan where I live, it’s probably the largest bass that I have ever saw in person. I will say that the northern strain of bass takes a long time to get there, earlier this year I was talking to a friend who fishes at a local tournament and he said that he hasn’t seen any 5lb fish yet. This is out of a field of 34 boats. I have gotten multiple over 4Lb this year but not like last year with two 4+ pound fish in a day. I just have crazy high standards lol, 

IMG_0272.jpeg

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0273.jpeg

IMG_0110.jpeg

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg

IMG_0116.jpeg

IMG_0118.jpeg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying out the new Daiwa Airity to compare it to the 23 Vanquish. I got the 2000 size and my god is it light at 145 grams. I have it paired with a 7’4” Rebellion and the combo weighs 8.7oz - we’ll see how it compares!

43EB60FC-661B-4298-8B1C-BECE2B86C0ED.jpeg

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/30/2023 at 1:33 PM, Jmurphy87 said:

I have been looking for some more jerk baits, my plan is to work on building some more confidence with them next year. I wanted to go to a different store but I don’t have my car back from the shop yet and I am on foot. This time I headed off to Ollie’s. I decided that I needed some more lucky craft jerk baits. I got various sizes and 2 lv 500 lipless.

 

5 lightning pointer 110sp

2 slender pointer 97mr

2 flash pointer 100

1 pointer 78 sp 

2 pointer 95

2 lv500

 

not a bad haul for $80

IMG_1533.jpeg

IMG_1534.jpeg

IMG_1535.jpeg

IMG_1536.jpeg

IMG_1537.jpeg

IMG_1538.jpeg

You did good on those clearance LC's for sure.  IMO no jerkbait arsenal is complete without Smithwick rattlin' rogues and rapala x-raps ?.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KP Duty said:

You did good on those clearance LC's for sure.  IMO no jerkbait arsenal is complete without Smithwick rattlin' rogues and rapala x-raps ?.  

 

Yeah before I downsized some stuff, I had around 8 of the x-rap, of various sizes. Thanks for the suggestions I will look into some of the smithwick ones.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
51 minutes ago, GreenPig said:

Couple TW and Baitsanity collaboration glides

Screenshot_20231003_193009_Gallery.jpg

They come in their own swimbait wraps?......if so that's awesome

 

I think these will compete with the Clutch Darters as they look more like a good Herring swimbait than Shad.   IIrc you fish Herring lakes, should be money.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously not a picture of my actual rod, but I have one just like it now, and I'll get to fish it this weekend. Super curious to see how the recoil guides are. I have a stack of heliums, z-bone, and a SC legend X,  to compare it to, but no NRX+/Conquest which is the target. 

 

KistlerNitraniumGraphics_3000x.jpg?v=1694279250

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went pumpkin picking with my wife/ daughter and this time they had a handful of vendors. Of course the Monkey likes pumpkin picking too apparently. Custom painted swim bait for $40. He had a bunch but not in shad pattern other than this style but if it works well I'll be getting some more. He also had a boat load of hand painted crankbaits and does replica taxidermy. Asked him why he was so cheap and he said "if you have a $40 swim bait and a $150 swimbait and they work the same which one will you throw more?  I'd rather you use mine all the time and get more than never use it". 

 

20231007_133318.thumb.jpg.ba3010f2a9b22c759d6db0741fc267ee.jpg58584.thumb.jpeg.7141789f8fa6e3f8dcd40d0425b62802.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Functional said:

I went pumpkin picking with my wife/ daughter and this time they had a handful of vendors. Of course the Monkey likes pumpkin picking too apparently. Custom painted swim bait for $40. He had a bunch but not in shad pattern other than this style but if it works well I'll be getting some more. He also had a boat load of hand painted crankbaits and does replica taxidermy. Asked him why he was so cheap and he said "if you have a $40 swim bait and a $150 swimbait and they work the same which one will you throw more?  I'd rather you use mine all the time and get more than never use it". 

 

20231007_133318.thumb.jpg.ba3010f2a9b22c759d6db0741fc267ee.jpg58584.thumb.jpeg.7141789f8fa6e3f8dcd40d0425b62802.jpeg

 

 

 

 

Love it.  NC fella too.  Gonna have to add that to my note to Santa along with the Daiwa Tatula 7'1 MHXF.  I want to get some nicer glide baits for the late winter early spring transition this year for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pat Brown said:

 

 

Love it.  NC fella too.  Gonna have to add that to my note to Santa along with the Daiwa Tatula 7'1 MHXF.  I want to get some nicer glide baits for the late winter early spring transition this year for sure.

He had glide baits, s weavers and he called this one the deep belly or something like that. Says it's surprisingly slow sink. Well see. Nice guy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




  • Outboard Engine

    fishing forum


    Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.