Latest Tackle Purchase Thread (Bait Monkey Victim Support Group)

Master Bait'r

Picked up another SLX MGL today. Not 100% sure which rod I'm going to put it on yet. If I could go back, I'd have these on all of my combos honestly. Far and away the best of the SLX line.

363498838_800907311674113_1480411361376136921_n.jpg

• Like 7

• Super User

Needed some new line and since I was ordering figured I might as well get another topwater, a squarebill (love that color!) and the smaller version of the Yamatanuki.

UtsIkR3.jpg?1

• Like 9

• Super User

ALF had a 30% rebate sale going on all their used gear. Since I had this in my wishlist; for $118 with $35 coming back as a gift card...I couldn't lose...and like the other rod I got from their used area, I can't find one thing wrong with it.

Mojo610MLXF.thumb.jpg.c309fcf4c9b6998cb1566fd12ac5e479.jpg

• Like 7

• Super User
17 minutes ago, gimruis said:

@MN Fisher I don't have that particular model but I've got 3 other mojos (2 bass mojo, 1 muskie mojo) and I've been pleased with them.

This makes my 4th Bass Mojo...I'm happy with them. I may grab another as they're closing out the 'old' Mojos for 20% off to make room for the new (IMO: ugly) Trigons.

@gimruis

And ya - pulled the trigger. Mojo 7'5" MH/XF on it's way.

• Like 1

• Super User

Probably the last new Mojo I'll buy...arrived today from ALF's 'close-out sale'.

2023-Mojo75MH-XF.thumb.jpg.ea68307aa57925c3e362c4ab3b13badb.jpg

• Like 11

• Super User
On 7/26/2023 at 10:35 AM, Pat Brown said:

Really excited to have discovered another local bait manufacturer!

I placed my first order with Bizz Baits yesterday.  Going to try their Dinner Bell buzz bait, the big thumper 5/8 oz single Colorado spinnerbait (night fishing anyone?), Got my favorite colors to try in their Bizz Bug and their Dizzy Diamond worm and I got some of their Flip n Skip jigs to try because I love the horizontal line tie, coupled with the head shape and the wire tied skirt!

They seem to be doing really cool stuff!  Check out Bizz Baits from Concord NC if y'all get a chance!  I'll let you know how I do on some of this treasure soon hopefully!  ??????

Bizz Baits is a familiar name here if you've been around for awhile -- they were a site sponsor a number of years ago when they were smaller and had just a few plastic options. I have been ordering from them off and on ever since; it's great to see how they've grown and expanded. The owner, Brian, started the company based on a college business class project, and won a start-up competition with it.  I don't know anyone who has more consistently-clean laminate color patterns.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Super User

Bait Monkey just hit me with a major Birthday sneak attack ! 

Took a flyer on a couple of Tackle Warehouse Exclusive Rods.

Daiwa DX Type-H Glass Reaction Casting Rods 7'3" Heavy

and matched them with a pair of Daiwa Tatula Elite 6.3:1 Casting Reels.

Like the deeper spool. 

Already have a career supply of line. 

Looking to step up my 1/2 oz Jackhammer Game.

Completed the monkey uprising with some skirt material and a pair of specially patterned

stick jackets to make new rig ID a breeze.

All in I think it was about a Buck 3.80 plus tax. 

5739c96f87123_monkeysass.thumb.jpg.34e2b3732946eaec188588c258a229d8.jpg

A-Jay

• Like 7

4 hours ago, MIbassyaker said:

Bizz Baits is a familiar name here if you've been around for awhile -- they were a site sponsor a number of years ago when they were smaller and had just a few plastic options. I have been ordering from them off and on ever since; it's great to see how they've grown and expanded. The owner, Brian, started the company based on a college business class project, and won a start-up competition with it.  I don't know anyone who has more consistently-clean laminate color patterns.

Been catching toads and little fish alike on the plastics and jigs and also had my first buzz bait blow up on the dinner bell this evening on the big local lake.  Very eager to try more of their stuff and happy to support a local small business.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thunderblack said:

Very nice! Love the Bible verse and fish on the bottom. Great touch!

It's a custom rod built right here in my city. I had them add the fish and Bible verse. Dale and Wendy are top notch rod builders and people. Check out their website. www.fishstyx.com

22 minutes ago, treble hook said:

It's a custom rod built right here in my city. I had them add the fish and Bible verse. Dale and Wendy are top notch rod builders and people. Check out their website. www.fishstyx.com

Will do! Appreciate you letting me know about them. 

• Like 1

• Super User
30 minutes ago, MIbassyaker said:

Just for fun, I ordered an In-Fisherman "Gear Box", which I didn't know they offered until I stumbled across it on their website:

GearBox.thumb.jpg.ac68f6a0a6865bcbabb1cb666af73c20.jpg

Pretty good value for $25, actually.

I'd say you got your money's worth and then some!

• Like 2

• Super User

I've got a tournament at Keowee this weekend and then another tournament at Lanier at the end of the and I've been deciding on what strategies to employ in this ridiculous heat.

The mornings will be no brainers throwing topwaters and instead of throwing big baits I plan to downsize a little with 1/4 oz buzzbaits and some walking baits. But I realized I don't have any smaller walking baits left in my arsenal so I picked up a couple of Spook Juniors. My frogs are kind of ratty, so I also picked up a Scum Frog to add to my topwater arsenal.

I go through underspins like a kid goes through candy, so I also picked up a handful of Berkley Fusion 19's in different sizes and colors. These things are always money for me.

Incoming Monty Python reference:

And Now for Something Completely Different...

The plan is to move to deeper water as the day progresses and with the the drop shot will come into play. I'll deep crank if I have to, but for me both of those techniques grind me one way or another. So I wanted to try something new (for me) to entice suspended fish and those hanging out near the bottom.

Enter the flutter spoon.

I don't think I've thrown any type of spoon since I was a kid throwing a Red Devil, so this should be fun and a nice change. I picked up a 3" Magic Shad Lake Fork flutter spoon, a a 4.75" Blueback HD Nichols flutter spoon, and a 6" Sexy Shad Lake Fork flutter spoon. I can't wait to try those out.

• Like 2

I just ordered a lot of buzzbaits.  This was either a very smart move or a very dumb move but it's gonna be gurgly and clanky and spitty in these lakes for the next couple months ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Super User
11 minutes ago, Pat Brown said:

I just ordered a lot of buzzbaits.  This was either a very smart move or a very dumb move but it's gonna be gurgly and clanky and spitty in these lakes for the next couple months ?

What buzzbaits and do you modify them out of the package?

• Like 1