Jump to content

Bradford Pears are Blooming!


Bankc

Recommended Posts

  • Super User

I know most of you follow the dogwoods, but around here, we have a ton of Bradford Pears, and their blooming generally marks the beginning of the prespawn (in my area).  Sure enough, yesterday I noticed they were starting to bloom and today I caught a few up shallowish (around 4-6 FOW in lake that maxes out at 12-14 FOW)!  I'm excited!  I can't seem to catch a thing in the winter months, no matter what I try, but once the prespawn starts, it's on!  

E93E61FD-7753-4D28-BDD0-070D74A9DEBE.jpeg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Ours started blooming about ten days ago....and sure enough,  I caught a few in less than 3 FOW from the dock.  Interestingly, I saw something from the county offering me a dogwood, if I cut down the Bradford Pear...lol.  If it was a pink dogwood, I'd take them up on it.  I sorta promised the wife last year that I'd get her a pink dogwood.   I guess I should get on that before I get reminded.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
4 hours ago, Bankc said:

I know most of you follow the dogwoods, but around here, we have a ton of Bradford Pears, and their blooming generally marks the beginning of the prespawn (in my area).  Sure enough, yesterday I noticed they were starting to bloom and today I caught a few up shallowish (around 4-6 FOW in lake that maxes out at 12-14 FOW)!  I'm excited!  I can't seem to catch a thing in the winter months, no matter what I try, but once the prespawn starts, it's on!  

E93E61FD-7753-4D28-BDD0-070D74A9DEBE.jpeg

In my area , it’s Azaleas…and dogwoods…

06670DA3-6F1D-4183-939C-EAE1DECD12DF.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
40 minutes ago, N Florida Mike said:

In my area , it’s Azaleas…and dogwoods…

06670DA3-6F1D-4183-939C-EAE1DECD12DF.jpeg

I’ve got both of those in my front yard, no color yet 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bradford Pears are blooming here.  I haven't seen any dogwood blooms yet.  Water temp was 59 today.   I caught 13.  One was on a devils horse.  (topwater)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I mainly pay attention to water temps and we're warmer this year compared to last year......by 3 weeks.

Today the fish were already staging just off of where they spawn.

Trees Tell me when to look for mushrooms ?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator

We've got frogs croaking here tonight, that's my sign that things are happening. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

When over night temperatures stay at or above the water's temperature.

 

Early pre-spawn started here somewhere around the middle of January. 

 

Southeast Texas is on ?

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
7 minutes ago, Will Ketchum said:

Go ahead everyone....rub it in. It's still winter up here. ?

We still got 24" of 'hard water' here...sample taken yesterday on a bay close to my house.

image.png.af5b002d2199a40308597c5d2e5469fc.png

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

No hard water here.  Temperatures have been back and forth warming the water somewhat. Last weekend I fished in 42 degree water and the fish were biting finesse jigs and Ned rigs, but they were still located near the deeper basin in this small 56 acre lake.  We have had a number of warmer days lately.  Unfortunately, the forecast for March 8th - 17th is for lows in the upper teens to around 30, and highs in the 30s and 40s.  If that forecast holds our water won't be warming from the low 40s until probably late March.

PXL_20230226_152046886_exported_200_1677850106915.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
19 hours ago, Choporoz said:

Ours started blooming about ten days ago....and sure enough,  I caught a few in less than 3 FOW from the dock.  Interestingly, I saw something from the county offering me a dogwood, if I cut down the Bradford Pear...lol.  If it was a pink dogwood, I'd take them up on it.  I sorta promised the wife last year that I'd get her a pink dogwood.   I guess I should get on that before I get reminded.

 

Yep.  Bradford Pears are a non-native invasive tree.  I know a lot of them have been sold and planted in yards over the past few decades, but they do spread quite prolifically.  I see a lot of them growing on the roadsides around here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, MN Fisher said:

We still got 24" of 'hard water' here...sample taken yesterday on a bay close to my house.

image.png.af5b002d2199a40308597c5d2e5469fc.png

And I complain about VA winter being long...... that's wild.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2023 at 7:51 AM, senile1 said:

 

Yep.  Bradford Pears are a non-native invasive tree.  I know a lot of them have been sold and planted in yards over the past few decades, but they do spread quite prolifically.  I see a lot of them growing on the roadsides around here.

In my area there are wild plums blooming this time of year. They look alot like The Bradfords, but they are plums. Could be at you local as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...
  • Super User

The Bradfords are blooming again.  This time in February!

 

I was kind of freaking out about that (it's been a hot winter), but then looked up this post and realized that it's only a week ahead of last year's.  

 

Either way, the fish should be pushing up shallow again!  I hope!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if it's the rain, or if it's been colder this Winter.  The water temp is 6 degrees cooler than it was this time last year.   52 Sunday, 57 last year, last week of February.  

 

Edit: I noticed my bad math.  I'm not going to change it.  That way I'm not the only one laughing.   

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  

I just looked through my old electricity bills from Duke Energy.  According to them the average temperature in February 2023 was 52 degrees.  The average in February this year (so far) is 45.   

 

I wonder if the warm days have been warmer, but there's been less of them.   I caught Bass on buzz baits in both January and February this year.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Water is definitely warming more slowly but I can't complain because it's more fun before they move up anyways!  😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Plants bloom according to photoperiod, bass spawn according to warming water temperatures.

Tom

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

It's really about water temps but flowers are pretty.

I'm heading out Monday hoping for at least 50* water temps.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.